ArticlesGoaNews

Due to presence of jellyfish, locals and tourist advised not to venture into the sea in South Goa

in very rare cases jellyfish species are venomous and can cause harm on contact

Drishti lifeguards spotted jellyfish which washed ashore along the Baina-Betalbatim-Velsao beach stretch in South Goa on 3rd November 2017. Drishti Marine have alerted the tourism department about the same and cautions visitors to the beach to stay alert and safe.

Marine animals, jellyfish are of two kinds- toxic and non-toxic. And while most jellyfish stings are harmless to humans and cause only a mild irritation; in very rare cases jellyfish species are venomous and can cause harm on contact.

Drishti Marine advises immediate first aid precautions that should be taken in case a person comes in contact with them:

  • If stung by a jellyfish inform the nearest lifeguard or lifeguard tower.
  • Wash the stung area with hot water (as hot as you can stand it) as heat further breaks down the toxins.
  • Generously spray the stung area with vinegar. It is known to diffuse any poison that may be more active in the nematocysts present in the tentacles.
  • Place ice packs on the stung area to reduce the pain and swelling.
  • In case of chest pain and breathing difficulty, visit the doctor immediately.

Drishti Marine, the state-appointed professional lifeguard agency advises locals as well as the tourist not to venture into the sea along the South Goa coastal stretch as the jellyfish could possibly be present in the waters or along the shoreline.

This article is produced from a syndicated feed from a PR agency and has not been not been edited by ItsGoa staff.

Image credit: telegraph.co.uk

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close