The story of GKB (Gopal Krishna Brothers) commenced on a humble note with the setting up of just four hand-operated single spindle machines to surface ophthalmic lenses in the verandah of a house at Agra in 1959. By 1964 the company had moved into its own building. They were amongst the first manufacturing units in the country to have installed imported automatic generators and smoothing and polishing machines to produce ophthalmic lenses. They soon established an envious position as one of the leading manufacturers of quality ophthalmic lenses in the country and entered exports in a modest way in 1975. In 1980, the company received the special CAPEXIL Export award for Ophthalmic Lenses, for the first time in the country.