It’s the Navratri week-end. A long weekend of energetic dancing to the catchy dance beats of the Dandiya Raas awaits you. This is going to be a nice long weekend of fun, music, and dancing. Oh Yes! Navratri is celebrated with as much energy here in Goa, as it is in Gujarat and in West Bengal.
There’s a large Gujarati community here who have made Goa their home away from home. During this season they have a gala time. They come out all decked up in their colorful garments and gather in the community grounds to perform their energetic and traditional dances of Garba and Dandiya Raas.
This is the time you will see Gujarati women beautifully dressed in their traditional and fashionable chaniya cholis and sarees. They carry out all the religious rituals associated with the Navratri festival and every night, for nine nights they dance – their well-loved Garba and Dandiya raas. The beats are catchy, they swirl round and round clapping their hands or tapping the sticks in their hands, making a nice rhythmic clacking sound. Each home lights up a Matki and Akhand Diya. Together these diyas are known as Garbo. According to tradition, the Akhand Diya should be kept aflame throughout the nine days of Navratri
Where are some of the fun places in Goa, where you can join in the Dandiya Raas dance?
1. One of the most popular places is the 53-year-old Panjim Gujarati Yuvak Mandal in Panjim. They celebrate Navratri at the Mahalaxmi Temple every year. Their hold a grand celebration and an All Goa Dance competition titled Dandiya Masti. This year it will be held at Taleigao Community Centre on October 5, 2017. There will be dance competitions in which many dance groups across Goa participate. There are prizes for Dandiya King, Dandiya Queen, Dandiya Prince, Dandiya Princess, Dandiya Boy and Dandiya Girl.
2. In Anjuna at Titos White house Anjuna Goa. On Friday, 29th September – 7 pm onwards & on Saturday, 30th September – 12 am onwards.
3. In Ponda at Atrium Mall Near BSNL Exchange (close to the HP Petrol Pump). They will hold a Dandiya Dhumal on Sunday, 1st October.
4. In Porvorim. Near the Sai Baba Temple, Reis Magos, Volant, Porvorim, every night, till 30th October.
5. Vasco at the Sports Club of New Vaddem. The Nivedam Social Cultural and Sports Club of New Vaddem has been organizing a state level competition for the past 10 years now.
Here’s a video of folks dancing the Dandiya Raas in Calangute last year: